Saturday, June 17, 2006

2006 Grandma's Marathon





This race started out so well, but ended up a tough day for my brother and I. I ran the race exactly as planned early on, running 10K in 41:47, the halfway point in 1:29:46, and the 20 mile marker in 2:23:00. I was on pace at 20 miles to finish in the 3:07-3:08 range. Unfortunately, the slight sprain I felt during the race I did just 4 days earlier weakened my ankle enough that it gave in to the pressure and I walked, jogged, and hobbled the remaining 6.2 miles. My pace over the last 10 K was 1:10:16, which killed my time. I finished 721st overall with a chip time of 3:33:15 and a gun time of 3:33:38. I was 246 out of 1465 in my age group and 609th out of 4320 overall. My brother suffered from the heat and had dehydration issues, but still finished in 3:59:32 (under 4 hours bro!). He too could have finished higher had conditions the heat not been so bad. We had a blast though and for both of us, it was our first marathon.

No comments: