Monday, September 11, 2006

Pride of Canada Marathon



My second attempt at a marathon was staged in Thunder Bay, Ontario. A beautiful park was the location for the run. I led the pack until about mile 12, which was fun because the course director was riding a bicycle and showing us the path on the two loop route. Eventually, I was passed up by Doug Scott of Thunder Bay, ON (shown in the yellow shirt above). I ran with him for a few miles, but eventually he outpaced me and he went on to win in 3:02:51. I finished second in 3:10:48. This was 11 seconds ahead of the 3:10:59 cutoff to qualify for the Boston Marathon. I had a blast and Doug was kind enough to treat me to a pasta dinner with his family after the race. I was definitely the ringer in the race, for the top ten finishing times were all from people from Thunder Bay, with the exception of my second place finish.

No comments: