Sunday, February 28, 2010

Stomp the Swamp 12K snowshoe race






















This year's race brought an interesting mix of competitors. Snowshoeing is so much fun. What I love about the races is you see the same group of people over and over again. Friendships develop as you see the same people over and over again. I am thankful that my John Kann introduced me to this wonderful sport several years ago. It was a perfect day and the pictures were courtesy of my wife. She only got pictures of the start because she was inside when I finished as she said "I thought it would have taken you longer." I guess that's a good problem to have. . .finishing earlier than expected. This year I finished the course in 56:42 for second overall out of 16 racers. This was considerably faster than the previous year. I was almost five minutes faster by accounts of time although the race director said it may have been a couple hundred meters short. The lead runner finished under 50 minutes. I'd never heard of the guy before or seen him anywhere prior. I did the 12K race. Many people chose the 6K event. Many people probably were trying to relax and save their energy for the United States National Snowshoe Competition which was the next week in Syracuse, New York. Many people from this race were headed there. Jay Punke does the race up well. The soup is excellent, the brownies are to die for, and every race should finish with Leine's 1888 Bock as the post race drink.

No comments: