
The Haley's Comet Run of 2012 was a tough run for me in several respects. Being last year's winner of the 5K, there was the mental desire to want to repeat. I would love to be able to reclaim the top spot at the race. However, this was complicated by the fact that I was not actively training to any appreciable amount. Currently, I am not putting any mileage in other than running the occasional weekend race. This makes it hard to achieve the goals I have set for myself. All I can say is for me a lackluster training schedule led to a lackluster performance for what I would have liked to be able to do. Last year I won with a time of 18:19. This year I ran a time of 19:21, which was good enough for second. I gave up the record for the 5K distance to fellow cross country runner Nathan Tripp who crossed the line in 18:16.9, beating my old mark by 2.1 seconds. That is a tough break. I told Nate during the first part of the race that I needed someone to push me so that I could try to achieve a PR, but my lack of training was obvious early and I easily settled for a second place finish. All I can say is at least I got a cool race picture my wife took. It is always nice when you have a picture where both feet are off the ground. It looks like you are really working and it is a rare picture. Thanks for the photography, Angela. Angela finished in 30:59.33. She pushed Kaia in the running stroller. All I can say is that when the race director tells everyone that you are the course record holder before the start of the race and tells everyone to chase after the guy in the orange shirt, that is never a good thing. It's like painting a bullseye on my chest. And it allows runners a perfect opportunity to close in for the kill. Why do the Haley's Comet's races always have to be so darn hot. I can't believe how hot and humid these races have been the last couple of years. I would move for an 8 am start time as opposed to the 9 am start time that traditionally happens.
No comments:
Post a Comment