Saturday, May 17, 2008

Kishwaukee Sunrise Rotary 8K



When your wife is a bridesmaid in a wedding and you have nothing else to do with your time while you wait for her, what is the next best thing to do? Run a race of course. I have not run an 8K competitively before, although I did run one for fun with my brother Dan last year. Boy, this is a tough distance. Not quite a 10K but more distance than a 5K. It takes some getting used to. I had a blast and finished 6th overall out of 87 runners with a time of 32:20. I was second in my age group. . .7 seconds behind the guy who placed first in my age group. Certainly I could have pushed more, but boy was it a windy day during the race. Also, two athletes who had tried out for the Olympics showed up for this small-town race in rural Illinois. They dominated the field.

No comments: