
The Boyceville Cucumber Run was the site of my 10K PR two years ago. My goal going today was two-fold. Bring home the covetted cucumber trophy and also set a new 5K PR. Easier said than done. The out and back course was a game of follow-the-leader. Unfortunately, the lead guy took off at such a fast rate (he finished in 15:39) that although I was the second place runner up until the last half mile of the course, the course twisted and turned through downtown Boyceville that I missed a turnoff. I went straight in an area that I should have turned. The tough part was that I had about a 20 second lead over the third place runner prior to the missed turn and was on pace for setting a PR. The third place runner followed me for a block before coming to his senses, but I kept running and ran extra distance down the wrong street before I heard cheering on another block and then looked to find that I had missed the finish. I ran through a field and then crossed the finish line from the reverse direction prior to then walking through in the right direction. I have never done that before. My mistake cost me a PR and a place. I finished in third overall (19:02) whereas I should have had my fastest time ever. Very frustrating, but that's what I get for not paying attention. I don't have any race pictures, but I thought the post-race picture I posted was awesome. The race was so popular and they had so many more people than the previous year that several kids had to make race numbers out of paper. That's why when they posted the final results, several sheets of paper show up on the results wall. I thought this was hilarious.
No comments:
Post a Comment