Sunday, August 2, 2009

Laona Souper 5K


I saw a cool article in the August 2009 issue of Runner's World magazine (page 97. . . Best Schwag). I showed an awesome trophy which was of a handmade soup-bowl trophy which was to be given to the top three male and female winners in the 5K race. Although farther than I typically like to travel for a race, I couldn't pass up on the opportunity for the cool Schwag. Somehow I convinced my wife to get up before 5 am to travel about 150 miles to this race. It was cool. I posted an18:38 time, which is 5.1 seconds from my personal best. I was 10 seconds from the winner. Although the prizes were cool, they mentioned there were special awards for the top three male and female winners. Everyone benefited in that they had made porcelain soup bowls for most participants. They had some many that the top three winners in each age group won bowls and medals, plus they had extra bowls they handed out to other participants when they had finished awards. I loved the bowl, but I hope they return to the trophy design they had pictured in Runner's World magazine. The trophy they had pictured would look great on any fireplace in my opinion (I'm not sure about my wife's opinion, though). My only trade off in this event was that my wife and I had to stop for ice cream on the way home. I thought that was a fair trade off. I was pretty happy with my time because although I have been running, I would not say that I have really been doing a lot of speedwork. This race will serve as a springboard for some great fall races.













No comments: