
I was super pumped for today's race as one of the kids that I coached during the previous year of cross country who had made it to the Wisconsin State High School Cross Country tournament showed up. He was signed up for the 10K race and I was hoping he was going to do really well. As a cross country coach, you love to see your kids do well while you are coaching them, but you also love to see kids develop a love for the sport that stays with them and encourages them to pursue running later in life as well. This kid that I coached had not run a lot over the summer and he told me he had only run about three times over the summer. He led until about the 8K mark as he told me, finishing second overall. I think with some training he would have dominated the race as this runner was one of the top runners in the State during his senior year. I finished the 5K as the first place runner in a not-so-stellar time of 19:39. This race is a well-run race which tends to not attract too large of a crowd. It is mostly composed of local runners, but it would be great to see it expand to bring in runners from further away. I am on the committee for helping to promote this race. It continues to bring in more runners year after year which is definitely a great thing.




No comments:
Post a Comment