No pictures are available to prove my craziness, but the shorts were donned for one last winter race at the Decide Commit Succeed 5K race series. My wife told me someone she knows said to her one time that for as much education as I have had I should know more about dressing more warmly during the winter. My comment in return is that with as much heat as you generate in running, a little 20 or 30 degree cold doesn't even come close to chilling me off when I run. Granted I wouldn't run a marathon dressed like that if that was the temperature throughout the race, but it certainly is acceptable for a 5K. I even know a few friends that wear shorts while they snowshoe in subzero weather (probably just to show off how tought they are). At least I am not that crazy as I have only wore shorts into December, but not January or February, yet. I wore the Santa outfit I have worn so many times before for one last race of the year to bring my yearly total to 20 races, tying my all time high for a year. This was a low key course which was pretty loosely organized. My understanding of the event was they are trying to keep members of the New Richmond Area Centre (that's how they spell it) motivated. There are no prizes and they don't list any times. It is for your own benefit. They say the course changes from month to month. It was a relatively flat course other than a hill after the first half mile and since it was an out and back course, there was a hill a half mile from the end as well. I finished 2nd in a time of 19:37. I think there might have been about 19 or 20 runners. Angela would be proud in that I wasn't a race groupee after the race. From the time I got to the race, registered, ran the race, ate the post race food, and pulled out of the parking lot to leave for home, I was there less than an hour. I don't know if I have ever been in and out of a race that fast before.
No comments:
Post a Comment