Saturday, May 14, 2011

Baldwin/Woodville Uff Da Run




































Fatherhood makes you reconsider your plans sometimes. The Uff Da Run has consistently made our spring list of races. This race is one of the most fun we do since it is an early season race and is put on by a snowmobile trail organization. I think the interest in this race goes back to the fact that the first time we ran this race my wife hadn't trained much for a running race and placed in her age group (and as a result got to have her picture taken by the Uff Da princess for the post race celebrations) whereas I had been training seriously for my first marathon and finished the half marathon with a time that was pretty good overall but not good enough to place in my age group. For the first time ever, I switched to the 5K instead of the half marathon. Because of this, I had to trade race bib numbers. When I signed up to do the Uff Da half marathon I was given the race bib number "10." It was one of the lowest numbers I have had on a race bib ever. Unfortunately, I cannot say that most small town running races give out bib numbers like they do in professional bike racing or for the elite runners in marathons. I exchanged my "10" for a "370." To avoid having to have my wife and daughter have to wait the time necessary for the finish of the half marathon and results, the 5K seemed like a better choice. Angela ran with Kaia in the running stroller and I finished in time to grab a few pictures of her. My time of 19:56 was a slower time than I was hoping for. I tried to keep pace with the winner, but couldn't overtake him in the final minutes of the race. Not much was left in the tank on this day. I was 15 seconds off the winner and finished 2nd overall out of 193. I was a little disappointed that they no longer allow the age group winners the opportunity to have their pictures taken with the Uff Da parade royalty as in years' past. This was perhaps the most exciting part of the race in past years. I don't know why they used to photograph top age group finishers with the town royalty, but that was something that looks like is no longer an honor or a high finish in the Uff Da run. Angela finished in 32:11 and was 87th overall. Not bad for pushing a stroller. Kaia sure enjoyed the race as well, but her favorite part was probably the post race bananas and other snacks.

No comments: