Saturday, August 6, 2011

Spooner Jack Pine Savage Run

No pictures available to report on the run here. The only thing I can say about this race was it was amazing so many people showed up on such a hot day for this race. My wife and I were confused as to the actual location of the run. Usually I like to get to a race with plenty of time to spare. Not in this case. We arrived at the school for the start of the race just in time to register. . . and that's about it. We pulled in to the parking lot at 7 minutes to race time. Oh, I had enough time to use the bathroom prior to the start. When I left the bathroom, I heard the race organizer announce for everyone to move to the start for the announcements of the race route. Then the gun went off and all of us crazy runners were released to run through the searing streets of Spooner. On a day like this, we worried about keeping our daughter out too long because it was too hot. I was sweating bullets upon the completion of the run. The nice advantage of the school allowed runners to shower afterwards in the school locker rooms if they chose to. Usually I wouldn't complain about a hot shower, but that is the only temperature the shower could be adjusted to. There was no cool setting. If you have ever showered in your house on such a hot and humid day and then left the shower and dried off and within minutes you felt just as sweaty and grose as before your run, that's what I felt like after my first hot shower. I told Angela that I was going to jump back in the shower. I went for round two. No offense, but after a hard workout and massive sweating, a cool shower is sometimes a wonderful thing to help cool off. I finished in 32:35, which was only 15 seconds from my PR for this distance. Given the hot temperatures and lack of a warm up, I was pretty happy with my finish. I was fourth overall and first in my age group. The winner of the race won for the 8th consecutive time. After the race, my wife and daughter and I went to the car and I placed my medal on the top of the car and put Kaia in the car seat before leaving. We then left and drove a mile away to the craft show downtown. Then I wondered where I had placed the medal. I realized it was on the top of the car and had not moved from where I had put it.

No comments: