Saturday, June 29, 2013

RCU Charity Classic

I have entered the realm of competitive stroller racing.  I decided at the last minute to push Kaia in the stroller during the 10K event.  Kaia had a blast during the run.  She always does.  What better way to enjoy the race than to be bundled up in a blanket and watching the scenery pass by.  
 
We took first in the stroller division, just ahead of someone from Brookfield, Wisconsin, who really was pushing the pace in the last mile to try to beat me, but in the end I was the one who had the extra kick to accelerate to the finish.  I finished in 44:51, to finish 46th out of 441 and 15th out of 48 in my age group. 
Kaia was all smiles after the event, and so was I.
She's cute in the running stroller, and also cute posing after the race in my Boston Marathon running hat.
 Immediately after running the 10K, I ran a two mile race by myself.  I finished in 12:50, to finish 25th out of 419 and was 7th out of 24 in my age group. 

My favorite race of the day was the half mile race with my daughter.  She technically should have done the quarter mile race according to her age group, but I bumped her up to the half mile distance (you are welcome, Kaia).  She continues to amaze me in that she ran the entire distance without stopping once and did the half mile event in 8:12.  I guess I shouldn't have let her line up in the front of the race, because she got pushed over in the opening seconds and this led to her hurting her knees.  Crying as we started the race, she was passed by everyone but would not run to mom.  Instead, he held my hand and kept running after the kids who pushed her down.  She didn't catch them, but she caught a piece of my heart that day watching her determination to do this for herself.  I am so proud of my daughter and the work she does to participate in races and not give up.  We're in training because she will be eligible to run cross country in another nine years or so if she wants.  Dad just loves that she loves to run.  I'll keep encouraging her as long as I am able.
I'll always be by her side whether running a race or doing anything else in life.



No comments: