Saturday, June 1, 2013

Haley's Comet Run

The third edition of the Haley's Comet Run was one quite different than last year.  My usual running buddy (my wife) had a meeting to help organize a Library event during Aquafest, so she was unable to see this event.  Being in her second trimester of pregnancy also wouldn't have helped.  I was left on my own for this.  Kaia participated in the kid's race and I must tell you that Kaia can hold her own at 3 years of age.  I don't know what possesses this girl to do what she does, but she ran the entire mile (that's right, the kid's race was a mile) without stopping.  You can see from the photo she had all sorts of energy and was even distracted by the crowd cheering her on.  What a cutie.  What an athlete.

 
Kaia's race went well, but dad found his time to be slipping over the last few times of doing this event.  I settled for a fourth place overall (out of 285) with a time of 19:40, four seconds away from third which was held by the race organizer's son, Cal Gerber.  Cal did a great job on the race.  The winning time was 17:57, so the all-time course record time continues to drop.  I would love to run a 17:57.  Perhaps some day I will be at that point.  I was lucky that we had some friends at the event to watch my daughter while I ran the race.  That way, my daughter could cheer me on at the finish.  I always love that.  A friend Christy Moravitz caught some nice pictures during the event which she allowed me to use.
 

No comments: