
I travelled to Ladysmith for the second annual Ladysmith Women With Courage Mardis Gras 10K. Organizers say it has grown tremendously since last year. I couldn't find the race starting location at first and showed up with 15 minutes to go before the race. It must have been more successful than they thought since they ran out of T shirts. There was a 10K and a 5K option, but like a good friend of mine says when their are two race distance options, "I wanted to get my money's worth," so I decided to do the longer distance. It was an out-and-back course. The race followed the outskirts of Ladysmith and ended up going out to the country and following a railroad track for about half the distance. By the 5K turn-around I had a nice distance lead over the next closest competitor and held it to the finish. My time was better than other 10Ks this year. I took first overall with a time of 39:51.37. I told my wife I always love races where you follow a biker who shows the route for the lead runner and when you finish you are still the first runner behind the biker. The newspaper photo was from the July 24, 2008 issue of Ladysmith News and was taken by John Terrill.



No comments:
Post a Comment