Saturday, July 26, 2008

Chetek CaRunBi Triathlon






This is the second year of doing this event. I love how well it is run. There is a mile of paddling, followed by 9.5 miles of road biking, and finally 4 miles of running on the Fishy 4 route. The only negative was that it involves too many highway crossings and about a mile of the route was just converted to gravel which is hard to ride a road bike on. Some guy wizzed past me on a triathlon bike, only to crash into a tree because he couldn't slow down going around a curve. I was able to hold off all teams until the last minute or two of the race. I was then passed by a team, among which was Chetek's great track and cross country runner Paul Hetke. He ran 5 minute miles, so he edged me out and his team finished in 1:06:15. I finished in 1:06:35. . .second overall but the first individual triathlete. I was able to defend my title from last year. A friend of mine, Gary Mikolon, put together a team consisting of he and his brother, Paul, Tyler Gruetzmaker, and his friend Steve. They finished third overall, with a time of 1:08:00. I held of everyone in the paddle, then gave up a couple spots at the start of the bike ride in the transition zone. I was fourth overall after the bike ride, but made up all spots until getting passed by Paul Hetke. He had a great run.

No comments: