Sunday, July 11, 2010

Eau Claire WORS Firecracker race




This was a great weekend of fun. Many of the guys I ride bike with camped out the night before the race. We were able to watch a movie on an outdoor big screen TV about Lance Armstrong winning the "Race Across the Sky." The next day started with a nice 10K trail run which coursed through the woods following much of the same course that the "Rumble in the Jungle" snowshoe race followed during the winter months. It was a beautiful course, but it was certainly tough. I finished third overall with a time of 52:53.5 and was able to earn a nice medal. The mountain biking race was a different story. My goal in this race was just to finish. In the mountain bike race, I finished 186th out of 192 riders. During the ride I came around a bend too quickly and crashed into a tree with my front tire (I was fine, but my bike wasn't). After the crash, I later realized that my rim had bent. Every revolution of the tire made a rubbing sound, causing a loss of speed and motivation. The tire rubbed against the front fork. My buddies thought that you could just true the rim to fix it, but there was no truing this rim. It was scrap metal. I finished with a time of 1:37:15.6 for the 15 mile course. This day made me realize that I am better off focusing on wide open bike races like the Fat Tire Race. I am much more comfortable on the wide open trails than narrow, technical routes.

No comments: